Organizational Accomplishments - The Last 10 Years
Every day, more than 24,000 children are reached with literacy programs that would not exist without The Library Foundation. In summer that number goes up to 50,000. The vast reach and impact of the library's literacy work illustrates what private funding and a small nonprofit can do in partnership with a strong public library. Over the last ten years, we have:
- Expanded the proven early literacy programs that we launched with the library in 2004, reaching more than 60,000 children and parents last year with the newest Every Child Initiative.
- Expanded a proven in-classroom program (Books 2 U) for struggling readers in Multnomah County's lowest performing 3rd-6th grade classrooms, reaching over 20,000 children last year.
- Expanded our Summer Reading program, now one of the most successful in the nation, reaching more than 110,000 children last summer.
- Secured stable funding for Multnomah County Library with passage of Library District Measure 26-143. The foundation was the largest single contributor to this campaign.
- Launched an unprecedented STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) resource for teens in the Rockwood neighborhood, in the form of a hands-on makerspace located within the Rockwood Library.